THE Rote Roß
As an agricultural estate the inn, was first mentioned in 1350. Around 1600 the family purchased the property and the right for a fee of 18 florins to the forest tenure Sebaldi in Nuremberg to get the right to brew beer.
In the Thirty Years’ War, the property was burnt down completely. 1675 was a new inn, which was destroyed again in 1688 during the great fire in the lower market. 1692 the same was built with stables for the accommodation of the horses from traveling merchants. 1721 the tower was construted front of the house, which served as the office for the pavement inches, which merchants and coachmen had to pay. 1856 acquired George Adelmann the property, which is owned by the family since then. Through Him there is still the house name Adelmann. Since this soon passed away, his wife is a married name Konrad Distler. Next heir was his son George Distler. His daughter Babette took with her husband Fritz Soergel 1947 the estate.
1952, the brewery was demolished and a hotel with 70 beds built on the same site. Since 1966, the couple Heinz and Else Sörgel lead the well-known inn, which can accommodate 250 guests in all its rooms. Since 1998, Gerhard and Andrea Sörgel lead the restaurant and Heinz and Else Sörgel the hotel. True to the tradition they are concerned about the welfare of the guests.
The Rotes Roß iver the time
Der Place Heroldsberg
The origins of the town go to the 11th Century. The village belonged from 1391 more than 400 years for possession of the Nuremberg patrician named GEUDER. The challenges of living built four castles that still stand today sharply together with the former fortified church in the village.
Albrecht Dürer made a friend of the patrician family GEUDER 1510 pen and ink drawing “The Village Church”. This is the oldest pictorial representation of the village. It shows the historic town center, still today constitute the four locks and the Evangelical Church of St. Matthew.
The estate of the Barons of GEUDER Herald mountain (Rabenstein) in 1796 together with the surrounding estates of the Free Imperial City of Nuremberg sequestered by Prussia. In the Peace of Tilsit in 1807, it came with the Prussian principality of Ansbach-Bayreuth to France. With the Treaty of Paris of 1810, the village of France came to Bavaria.
1837 was the Nuremberg physician Dr. Johann Friedrich Engelhardt near mountain herald the first dinosaur bones in Germany and sent for examination to the Frankfurt vertebrate paleontologist Hermann von Meyer. Meyer described the dinosaur Plateosaurus as engelhardti.